Welcome to the 2021 Georgetown Public Library Teen Summer Reading Program! Set a reading goal for yourself and track your reading every day. The more you read, the more tickets you’ll earn for your team and a chance to win a prize drawing! The Grand Prize winner will receive a 3-month subscription to a Loot Crate of their choice. Three runners-up will receive a 1-month subscription to a Loot Crate of their choice.
This year’s theme is “Tails and Tales” and Animal Crossing has taken over the Teen Space! Who will be victorious: Team Bob, Team Coco, Team Marina, or Team Marshal? Select your team, then read and submit your hours to earn team tickets. The team with the most hours/tickets at the end of the summer will win the competition; the Teen Space will be decorated with Animal Crossing décor featuring the winning team’s character and colors for Fall 2021. Check social media and the magnetic bulletin board in the Teen Space to see which team is in the lead throughout the summer.
You can also participate in our Photo Ops social media challenge! Each month, 10 Photo Op challenges will be listed on your reading log. Send us pictures of your completed Photo Ops to be featured on our social media and follow along with the Photo Ops on our Instagram, @gt_teenspace!
Pick up a reading log in the Teen Space, at the Kids Desk, or print one from the library website. The reading log for July will be released the last week of June. The library is open this summer, so you are welcome to come in, browse for new books, submit your hours, and check on your Team’s status. We will also be doing limited in-person programs in June and July. As space and supplies are limited, participants will be issued entrance tickets for each program on a first come-first served basis; tickets will be issued on the day of the program, one hour before the start of each program; groups cannot be accommodated.
- Wednesday June 16 @ 3 PM: Care of Magical Creatures
- Friday July 2 @ 3 PM: DIY Plush Sloths
- Friday July 16 @ 3 PM: Animal Shelter Crafts
- Wednesday July 28 @ 4 PM: Chemistry Roadshow
HOW IT WORKS
- For every hour that you read, you’ll earn 1 team ticket.
- Come to the library’s Kids Desk to have a staff member sign off on your hours and issue your team tickets.
- Once you’ve filled out your tickets with your contact information, submit them to the corresponding team jar, located at the magnetic bulletin board in the Teen Space.
- The more hours you read, the more tickets you will earn AND the more chances you’ll have to win! By submitting your tickets, you’ll help your team AND have a chance to win an individual prize drawing.
- The Animal Crossing team with the most hours at the end of the summer will win the Team Challenge. The Teen Space will be decorated in honor of the winning team, featuring their team mascot and colors. Check the magnetic bulletin board in the Teen Space or Instagram to see which team is in the lead.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive a 3-month subscription to a Loot Crate of their choice. Three runners-up will receive a 1-month subscription to a Loot Crate of their choice. The Grand Prize winner will be selected in a random drawing from the winning Animal Crossing team. Runners-up will be selected from a random drawing of all submitted tickets.
- Prize winners will be notified directly.
- The last day to log your reading hours is Thursday, July 29.
- In addition to reading, teens are challenged to participate in Photo Ops, highlighting your reading adventures throughout the summer. You are encouraged to submit your Photo Ops to be featured on the library’s social media accounts!
- Each reading log, for June and July, will feature 10 different Photo Ops that you can participate in.
- Stay tuned to our Instagram @gt_teenspace as we participate in the Photo Ops along with you, and to see what other teens are doing all summer long. Send pictures of your completed Photo Ops to email@example.com or DM us on Instagram and we’ll feature you on social media!
- The last day to submit Photo Ops is Thursday, July 29.
The Teen Summer Reading Program is open to teens ages 12-18. Contact Teen Services Librarian Margaret at 512-819-3132 with any questions.